[Customdrawn] Replace some widgets

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Thu Apr 5 10:46:57 CEST 2012

Il 03/04/2012 13:10, Michael Schnell ha scritto:
> On 04/03/2012 12:28 PM, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>> I don't know if this answers to your question.
>
> Yep. I think it does.
>
> IIUC:
>
> The code in the common section provides the near-user stuff such as
> storing the readable properties for the programmer's interface.
>
> The code in the common section does not do the very time consuming
> stuff like rendering the graphics to pixels.
>
> Thus it seems to be a quite straight forward (though maybe not at all
> effortless) task to (e.g.) do a backend that creates a "remote GUI"
> interface talking to the real GUI via a byte stream (for real "other
> box" remoting or to remote-control a daemon ow Windows Service) and
> similar stuff.
>
> I understand that there have been some effort to do a kind of remote
> GUI to hook to a remote control program done in Java for use on
> Android. Maybe part of that (code and/or design ideas) can be re-used
> to do a bytestream based remote backend (of cause not before the
> realization of current plans for CustomDrwan is more advanced).
>
> Sounds great !

Depending on what are your needs you have at least three ways to go:

1) If you just want a remote GUI, i.e. your application running on
computer A and display, keyboard and mouse on computer B, you don't have
to change a bit, because Linux and X11 already provide all the
facilities to do that: just use a remote X server, and you're done.

If you on the contrary you want a mix of local and remote functions (one
window in computer A, one window in computer B, and such)

2) you can start a full new widgetset, maybe taking the nogui widgetset
as a starting point

3) create your branch among the backends of CustomDrawn, and implement
what you need.

Giuliano