[lazarus] TIniFiles and $H+ issue

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Thu Apr 29 10:34:42 EDT 1999

Greetings,

OK Michael now you have me confused. The more I thought about it, I
don't understand. You indicated that TIniFiles needed to have $H+ set
and then things worked with the TStringList.Add(''); problem.

Why?

Shouldn't it have worked without TIniFiles being set with $H+. TIniFiles
didn't specifically use longstrings anyplace. If I made a shortened
version of TIniFiles with less features then the Add worked correctly. I
hadn't added the $H+. The test program you wrote which just talked to
TStringList the same way that TIniFiles does didn't have $H+ and it
still worked. Why would the fact that the amount of code in TIniFiles
was greater cause it to not work? Does this mean that any code that is
written to use TStringList or any of the FCL should have $H+ set? If
TIniFiles passed a space (' ') instead of the empty string ('') then
everything worked perfectly. Why did passing the empty string make a
difference?

Shouldn't you be able to mix shortstrings and longstrings together?