[lazarus] More Native Win32 stuff (Pascal, can you help here?)

Jeffrey A. Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Mon Aug 9 22:28:30 EDT 1999

I am still struggling to figure out how to attach a message handler to a
TForm.  The TControl has an FWindowProc that should probably point to the
function, but how do I get a unique window proc for each component?  I was
thinking of defining a TWindowObject and making the WindowProc a method,
then creating a new TWindowObject for each control when I recieve the
LM_Create message, but I don't think I can assign a method to FWindowProc
in TControl, can I?  Delphi's TWinControl has the WindowProc and default
message handler built into the object already, but the LCL does not.  So
Delphi automatically gets a seperate window procedure and message handler
for each component created.  If I try to do the same for lazarus, and add
these to the TControl and TWinControl objects, then I have put Win32 stuff
into the main LCL, which is against the idea of splitting everything out.
But it appears I can't create new, unique handlers for each component
without them being part of the object to begin with.  Unless I am missing
something totally obvious, it is a catch 22.

It is almost as if the API independence needs to be done by having a
different Dispatch function for each toolkit, but this would be reinventing
the wheel for everone.

I hope I am not being stupid, but it is driving me up the wall!

Jeff.