Very Nearly

Peter Vreman pfv at cooldown.demon.nl
Fri Aug 13 11:16:17 EDT 1999

> > I simply went to www.gtk.org and downloaded their Stable version
> > of 1.2.  It's at
> > ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.2
> > gtk+-1.2.3.tar.gz and glib-1.2.3.tar.gz
>
> Hmm.  Thanks; yep this does build static too.  I bet my RPM does actually,
> it probably just doesn't package them.
>
> Strangely for ./config said this:
>
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
> checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
> checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
>
> So... why is it that lazarus/ppc386 can't do shared libraries?  Is it just
> that it can't, or I have to do some magic alteration?  Or I have to wait for
> some later makefiles?
At least the makefiles in RTL,FCL,LCL can make sharedlibs already. Try
'make sharedlib' in each of the directories. And then copy the generated
.so into /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib and run ldconfig after it. To compile
then with the shared versions of the units add -XD to the commandline.

This will give you a hello example of 10k and lazarus of about 40k. (for
exact sizes see my previous mail about shared linking working)

Peter