[lazarus] GTK Z order & fixed frame

Samuel Liddicott sam at campbellsci.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 10:45:39 EDT 1999

I've been reading the GTK doco's and it doesn't look to good.

I can't find much refernce on setting Z order and (worse still) its mostly
based around auto-scaling controls.  Ugh - stretchy buttons!  My tastes are
if the button is big enough for the text, why make it bigger just because
the user grew the form!

Anway, it looks to me like we will need to host most controls in a gtk
fixed-frame which is about the only thing that allows absolute x-y
positioning.  Is this right?  If so I imagine thats what we do now?  Do we?

Next problem is that in windows, each "window" is er... a normal window and
can actually have child controls.
A button or a list box can have child controls (I've done this in some
applications...).

Can GTK list boxes have child controls?

Do we get to intercept the painting for child controls?  In delphi I do this
quite a bit - not least for OwnerDraw buttons and OwnerDraw list boxes?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to get up to speed on where we are
at the moment.

Sam