[lazarus] Progress

Shane Miller smiller at lakefield.net
Tue Aug 31 22:40:02 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Curtis White <osiriz at teleport.com>
To: lazarus at miraclec.com <lazarus at miraclec.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 6:10 PM
Subject: RE: [lazarus] Progress

>On 31-Aug-99 Shane Miller wrote:
>> So, can we get an update on everyone's progress on their projects?  It's
>> become silent here and I want to make sure that progress is being made.
>>

>I have been really busy at work, so my time working on things has been
really
>limited. But I am still working slowly on the TNotebook, TClipboard and
>TCheckbox components.
>
>I am waiting on the TNotebook component because it doesn't seem to be
working
>properly any more. I suspect this might be due to some of the changes that
>Michael has been working on with the gtkint cleanup. If I remember
correctly, he
>hadn't converted the TNotebook code over to use the new methods. I didn't
want
>to start changing it until Michael had a chance to finish the cleanup he
was
>doing. Then I will start working on the TNotebook again. It recieves a
bunch of
>GTK errors when it is initialized. As I understand it, the new version of
GTK
>fixes some problems with the TNotebook widget, but I don't know exactly
what
>yet. So I will probably check into that and see what was fixed.
>
>I have hit a couple snags that I am trying to figure out with the
TClipboard.
>Copying text to the clipboard isn't all that much trouble. But I can't find
>anything on how to copy other things, like images, sound files, etc. to the
>clipboard. I'm not sure it is even possible in Linux. Also, in Linux,
normally
>you select text in one window and while it is still selected, you paste it
into
>the other window. Basically, the two windows communicate with each other.
But
>there is also actually a global clipboard mechanism that allows you to use
it
>like the Windows clipboard. I'm not sure we are going to be able to support
all
>the clipboard operations in Linux that are supported in the Delphi
TClipboard.
>Should I make TClipboard support the Linux clipboard selection mechanism,
or
>just the one that works like Windows? And if it supports the Linux way,
then how
>should I do that? Any ideas?

Create the clipboard like it works in Windows.  We can always exttend it
later, but personally I like to be able to Copy something, close the window
and paste it somewhere else.  We can create a method for using the
"extended" copy/paste feature later.

Just work on TEXT for now.  You get that working and we'll be better off.
Then we can move forward and get the other copy/paste functions working.

>I have started on the TCheckbox component, but haven't gotten very far with
it.
>I fixed a couple problems with it, but not all of them. It still needs some
>work.
>

>Curtis

Keep up the good work Curtis.  Just keep plugging away in your spare time
and let us know if you need anything.

Shane Miller

Home page : http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller

Auto-IP Publisher : http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller/autoip