[lazarus] [OT] mywebos

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Dec 1 15:08:23 EST 1999

> Now look what is going on. They are going back to centralized computing
> power. Put all of the applications on one server where all of the
> information and data is stored and use dumb PCs, or to use the current
> jargen, Network PCs, to connect to these servers to do your work. So if
> it continues along this line of development these servers will have to
> grow in size to be able to accommodate the growing hord of users. Which
> means what. Large clusters or main frame computers. Shsssssssssss.

Haha. My company is part of a larger one, and that one is still working
on Mainframes (TCP/IP on mainframe); believe it or not, but mainframes
DO have a future;

The main assets of Mainframes are STABILITY and SECURITY - very important to
insurance companies, banks, any big organization. My mother-company has
a small number of clients, but the amounts of money paid are HUGE...

So those sticking to mainframes were right all along :-)

That said, I hate mainframes :( I'm still traumatized from my university
years, when we had to program on the university's big VM370...

Michael.