[lazarus] Setting callbacks

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Mon Dec 6 08:19:02 EST 1999

I have no problem moving the SetCallback into another function and having it called at a "more appropriate" time.
However, we have made some changes (createwnd, interfaceobject) that we shouldn't have made because we are still recovering from these.  Lets get something (ANYTHING) up and running as is and then make these changes.  The events work now, let's geet the editor working and start developing the IDE.  I would hate to make changes that would delay the development of the editor, which we need badly.

Shane

At 15:32 05-12-99 -0500, Michael A. Hess wrote:
>Marc Weustink wrote:
>>
>> If this is indeed the point where LCL differs from VCL, I'll introduce
>> T(win)Control.AttachEvents and T(win)Control.DetachEvents and that
>> would be the place to call SetCallBack
>
>I would like to see them not be called from in the component itself. For
>example the TButton.CreateWnd now calls the SetCallBack. I myself don't
>like it there because, as you pointed out, it isn't very Delphi like and
>some people coming from the Delphi world wouldn't even understand what
>it was for. I originally was located in TButton.Create and then moved to
>CreateWnd. It was in TButton.Create because it was at that point that
>the actual component/widget whatever was created. Things have really
>changed since then. We now use the CreateWnd and only create the
>component/widget whatever when it is needed. That being the case I would
>like to see the SetCallback moved down into the lowerlevel routines that
>call the components CreateWnd.

Thats the reason I came with T(win)Control.AttachEvents. At this place the
SetCallbackCalls are made. And gets called somewhere in the line of Handle
to CreateWnd. I personally was thinking of a call in CreatWnd, but there
might be a "deeper" function

>My concern was that your statement was that it should be moved out of
>the LCL which I think is a mistake. It should just be at a lower level
>in the classes.

I start seeing that. Sometimes you have half an idea and you need to talk
to someone to see the pros and cons

>I am for this move but think some other things need to be cleaned up
>first. Or shall I say get working. I myself haven't been digging around
>to much due to lack of time on my part but it has been pointed out to me
>that many of the previous controls and components that previous worked
>no longer do so. Take TButton for example. This doesn't even show up in
>any of the example programs any more. I assume this came about due to
>the change to CreateWnd but I hope we can get this working again.

Some controls (wich arent used in lazarus itself) still create and
setcallbacks in the constructor. Since I use the lazarus.pp as check if
everything wors I hadn't seen them. I'll look at the examples.
BTW buttons not correctly showing is fixed

>Once we are sure that every thing is working correctly with SetCallBack
>were it is then I say move it to a lower control level.

That was what I had in mind first and the reason I wrote this.