[lazarus] Setting callbacks

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Mon Dec 6 11:48:40 EST 1999

Alex,

It does make sense.  I agree that we should develop the classes to a point that they are "stable" and can be used to develop other things.  I feel that they are at this point (barely) and I think that we should try to implement an editor based on these classes.  Once that is complete I think the classes will evolve because it would be much easier to modify the classes with an editor that was meant for the pascal.  Also, the reason we are pushing the editor is because it forces us to modify the LCL in a way that it's compatable with Delphi, and usable for the editor.

I have stated in the past that if we have a goal (an editor) we are more than likely going to find our problems in our components as we try to implement them.

If you have any idea's on how to manage or structure the development of this project, please let me know.  i have found it quite difficult to get any structure/management in this project.  I blame it on the internet, but it may be me.......  :-)

Shane

>>> o4 at nova.bell.ca 12/06/99 10:15AM >>>

> I have no problem moving the SetCallback into another function and
> having it called at a "more appropriate" time.
> However, we have made some changes (createwnd, interfaceobject)
> that we shouldn't have made because we are still recovering from
> these.  Lets get something (ANYTHING) up and running as is and
> then make these changes.  The events work now, let's geet the
> editor working and start developing the IDE.  I would hate to make
> changes that would delay the development of the editor, which we
> need badly.

I think all this is due to a lack of managagement and structure
planning! =o) Instead of getting something (anything!) working, perhaps
Marc's example should be followed, and it would be a very high priority
to plan and complete the base classes first. Perhaps doing so in a way
that will simplify using higher level inheriting classes as well as
creating new ones, but while keeping extreme flexibility already offered
by the OO design.

Perhaps developping the base classes in parallel with let's say a
TButton, and once all is simplified and optimized for that, create
something a bit more complex.. and adapt the base classes as well as
TButton for the changes.. after a few components, the base classes
should have the exact structure they need to accomodate the whole LCL.

If that did not make any sense.. then just ignore me =o)

Alex