[lazarus] new adventure

Chris Storah cstorah at emis-support.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 06:15:56 EST 1999

You could always say VB...or Sinclair ZX80 BASIC :)

Seriously...
>single most powerfull
Depends on what you need it for...try writing Device drivers in M (Mumps)

>well designed
Doesn't mean it will be useful

my penny's worth... since I don't have a cent ;)
For cross-compilation, it may be an idea to produce something that compiles
to a pseudo-code which can then be run by an interpreter/compiler on any
system ... no more .EXE or .RUN files or #defines, just a format that can be
run on any system. Ah, then again that is what P-code is on UCSD Pascal (not
sure if it has come away from that nowadays).

I don't think a single language can give everything that people want,
because when it comes down to it, it is personal taste. I use a variety of
languages depending on my needs C++ at work, Pascal or C++/C at home, Mumps
when I have to support my old code at work, Assembler when I need to write
embedded software, HTML for web based coding ... I could go on, but you get
the idea.

Never used Python - I assumed it was a script language! May give it a try
sometime depending on whether it is of use to me.

>What would you guys rate as the single most powerfull/well designed
language?
Ada - I hate it, but have to admit it is well designed and powerfull : of
course it is of no use to me because someone would have to support my code
:)

Chris

P.S. I still can't get Lazarus to compile on Win32, but that's another
thread