[lazarus] Multiplatform

Jeff Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Thu Jul 1 15:37:25 EDT 1999

On 7/1/99, at 9:12 PM, Sebastian Günther wrote:

Thanks, Sebastian.

>a) you have a toolkit which 'only' supports source-code compatiblity
>(and one lib file per target), or
>b) you have a set of lib files which are binary compatible, and you have
>some kind of mechanism which allows you to decide at run time which lib
>to use.

I think this may be where I missed the most of the picture.  I had not considered runtime linking of the code.  That may be because I still think Win32 PE format vs. linux executables.  But I can see where it would be advantageous to have one executable that on load, would detect whether the Qt or Gtk were available and act accordingly.  I had been thinking the developer would check a radio in the IDE for the platform of choice, click a button, and the IDE would build an executable in the appropriate directory for the platform.  So my idea of platform independence was from the developers point of view, not the executables.

Jeff.