[lazarus] An alternative to CVS - OpenAvenue.com

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Jul 3 10:00:53 EDT 1999

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Shane Miller wrote:

> Thanks for the link.  I submitted a request to see what it's all about.
>
> Shane

> All,
>
> Although I am new to the open source movement, and hence do not want to
> overstep my bounds.... I would like to suggest that the Lazarus team
> consider using the FREE services of newly formed OpenAvenue.com
> (http://www.openave.com).   OpenAvenue is headed up by former Borland
> employee (Jason Minard) and offers free SCM hosting of open source
> projects.  OpenAvenue uses StarTeam (http://www.starbase.com) technology.
> I'm no CVS expert, but it seems to be a more advanced collaboration
> soluition then CVS and email.

1) Starbase is windows based completely - up to intergration with the windows
   explorer. For a Linux project, the use is rather limited.
   Openavenue says EXPLICITLY: 'If it can be hosted on NT, We'll host it.'
   It is also more aimed on companies that want to produce open source
   software.

2) Until now, it's all talk. They have nothing working yet, afaik.
   If you look at what they offer (openavenue, that is) they only offer
   FTP and HTTP space (plus scripting), with email adresses etc.
   No version management system is mentioned, except for CVSweb :-)

That rather limits the usability for Lazarus, IMHO.

Michael.