[fpc-pascal] Delphi for linux.

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sat Jul 3 10:28:45 EDT 1999

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:

> The risk is big. I am very sorry to see that it is happening to
> Lazarus as well. I really thought they would work out well. But
> looking at the mailing list, it is becoming a 'deja vu'. I'm sorry to
> see it happening, because they took such a great start :( But maybe
> they can climb out of it, which is possible if they have strong
> leadership (Cliff or Shane, I hope you're reading this !!). Let's hope
> so.

Yes some discussion was going on. From my point of view it was just to
make sure we WERE doing what everyone wanted us to do. It appeared that
we are doing what the majority wants. I also don't think that Cliff,
Shane, or myself (when I had time) STOPPED working on the GTK
implementation. The majority of the email was from other people on the
list.

So incase any one is still wondering, WE ARE WRITTING THIS TO GTK. I am
trying to cage things as much as possible to ease into other APIs but
first and foremost we are writting a GTK implementation of the FCL, aka
Lazarus, for FPC.

You wanted a statement of direction, well there it is.

To repeat Shanes repeated request if anyone is interested in help please
look at those controls that are not currently in the lazarus cvs and
write wrappers for them.

> In the beginning, I thought I/we as compiler people should stay
> neutral, but if every Class Library group is going to strand in a
> discussion, then we get nowhere, so maybe we must change our strategy.

Please stay neutral. The core group working on the compiler NEED to stay
focused on that issue and that issue alone. It is a big enough job and
you don't need to have your time sucked away by dealing with the FCL
stuff.

If flame war does start it will be with someone in the FCL group and not
the FPC group. That way people might shy away from that version of the
FCL but they won't shy away from FPC as a whole. I still firmly believe
that FPC is the future of Linux. It will be the way to bring the mass of
Delphi and VB programmers over to Linux and a true cross platform
environment.

<\soapbox mode off>        :-)