[lazarus] Tiny thing... And some CVS questions

michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be michael at tfdec1.fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jul 11 16:06:47 EDT 1999

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Michael A. Hess wrote:

> Jeffrey A. Wormsley wrote:
> >
> > I have a tiny issue that most of you probably haven't noticed.
>
> I've noticed but wasn't sure what to do about it. In most cases it
> doesn't bother me except in one major case. If you try to use xxgdn to
> trace you program the debugger gets all wacked out if you have DOS EOLs
> in the content. Makes it a REAL pain.   :-\

Just do a
  tr -d \\r <old >new
I have a small script called dos2unix which does this for all files on
the commandline.

> > I don't know if this is a result of some people editing in win32 Edit,
> > some in linux vi or emacs or whatever you guys use,
>
> That is what I assumed was doing it.
>
> > On to the CVS questions.  What does CVS do to a source file that I
> > have editted, and it detects there is a new version to be downloaded?
>
> It attempts to merge the 2 files into one. If the changes you have made
> are too extensive for it to figure out itself it comments what is
> different between the 2 versions and lets you fix it up manually.

It doesn't exacly comment it. It just puts markers:
<<<<<<<
=======

Just search for these, and edit as needed. You are warned if there are
conflicts anyway...

> If you are going to be doing editing it is always best to do an update
> just before you start to work so your source is as fresh as possible.

Correct, this is good practice.

Michael.