[lazarus] Simple HelloWorld

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Tue Jul 13 22:19:53 EDT 1999

I know everyone is waiting with baited breath for the IDE. But I'm sure
some people would like to see how a program will be written, or at least
can be written at this point.

I have built a really simple HelloWorld program. It gives you the
opportunity to see how a program is organized using FPC and the class
libraries. All the program does is create a window with a button located
in the middle. As we develop and clean up more components we can expand
on this example.

Since it isn't big I have attached the code to this email. Just unzip
the file into the fpc directory. That is the same directory where you
see lazarus, rtl, rcl. It will create a directory called hello. Then
just change to that directory and type make. It assumes that you have
the latest compiler (if not from CVS at least a snapshot) and the latest
lazarus code from CVS.

You can see that it is very similar to Delphi code. Some things that are
handled in the Delphi .frm file must be done manually but hopefully as
the IDE/RAD develop they will be done automatically as they are in
Delphi.