[RE: [lazarus] Components:]

John Margaglione jmargaglione at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:42:12 EDT 1999

I believe that the component is the TPaintBox, and a TPaintBox has a
TCanvas.  The hierarchy looks like this:

TPaintbox

TGraphicControl - has the Canvas property and a virtual Paint method called
when the WM_PAINT message is called.

TControl

TWinControl, on the other hand, can
1.  receive focus while the app is running
2.  can contain other controls ( a TGraphicControl can not do this, or
should not do this )
3.  have a window handle (Win32 specific, but there is a gtk handle of
sorts)

We should probably implement TGraphicControl and TWinControl before doing
TPaintbox.

Now that we have a good idea of how to implement controls, we should start
updating that list of controls with names again.  We also should get a
handle on the order of precedence for the building of controls.  We have
TControl built, but we need TGraphicControl and TWinControl before we really
start hacking on the other controls.

I haven't had a chance to look at the latest work you guys have done, but my
wife has friends over tonight, which means I can hide at the computer all
night!!!

John Margaglione
jmargaglione at hotmail.com