[lazarus] New Install for Win32 FreePascal

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Jul 16 13:17:27 EDT 1999

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> > What generates this link.res file and can we get it to use convert
> > to use the short file names? Onces this is fixed it will be possible
> > to install Free Pascal anyplace on your machine.
>
> The compiler generates this file for the linker. I do not know
> if the linker supports this.

It doesn't, that is the problem. I would like to see the compiler
generate the file with short names.

> Simply suggest c:\pp as the standard directory.

I can do that but as you have just stated that is all I can do,
'suggest'.

> Why would you install Free Pascal under Program files ?

Well....I guess.....because it's a program. Gee, that is where Delphi
is, Builder is, Java is, etc.etc.etc. Why wouldn't FPC be there????

> It will be a pain to use, don't forget this is a command-line tool !

Maybe to you it is. FPIDE already exists to use FPC as a GUI tool and as
soon as Lazarus is further along it will also be a GUI tool.

> If you ever tried to run a command that resides under program files
> from the prompt, you'll know what I mean.

If you look at the way Cliff (and now myself) have setup the
distrubution it uses batch files so that it can be run right from
Explorer no command line needed, at least as far as the user can tell.

> > Any easy solutions so that I can distrbute this installer today?

I can suggest that for now but that is not an acceptable solution.

> No easy ones, except not installing it there.
> (
> you should be banned from the programmer's society for doing so
> in the first place, in my opinion :)
> )

Why??????

Whether I put it there or you put it there, or whether we think it
should be there or not, SOMEBODY is going to WANT to put it there. FPC
better be able to handle it.