[lazarus] New Install for Win32 FreePascal

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri Jul 16 17:40:05 EDT 1999

HankC wrote:

> I'd suggest you go ahead with the installation program with the stated
> provision of using only short filenames for install.  I realize that
> you want to do things "right" and have a working, flexible install but
> I would think that most of the people using the program are capable of
> following a readme file.  I would also suspect that most developers
> have encountered long filename problems in the past (especially with
> the ridiculous 'program files' directory) and wouldn't want to install
> fpc there anyway.

I don't have a problem with this and will put out the installation as is
with a caveat in the beginning warning of where it should be installed
for now. However while this would solve the "program files" kind of
problem it doesn't totally solve the problem. This in no way prevents a
user from creating a subdirectory in the \pp directory called

 "\pp\my cool program"

Then when they try to build it, it blows up and we get all sorts of
questions on why it doesn't work. So it really does need to be corrected
because it will happen and it will happen alot once we get this thing
going more and out into the general novice programmers hands.