[lazarus] Delphi 5 prices!!!

Derk Benner delphidb at rsvlonline.net
Tue Jul 20 16:18:56 EDT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: P Jean dit Bailleul <jeanditbailleulp at em.agr.ca>

>It depends on the kind of licence of lazarus. If every lazarus application
>must be disrtibuted with all sources, i'm sure that it this will pull away
>a lot of compagnies.
>For example, I'm sure that I won't be able to make my boss agree on the use
>of lazarus in this case even if I'm sure that over 99.99% of the user won't
>be able to use the source to do anything.

I don't mind distributing FPC and GTK+ sources, nor do I mind distributing
full Lazarus and my app source when I'm using Lazarus/FPC to create a custom
app for a single business.  They are paying for my time and effort and will
quite likely want to be able to maintain the app on their own.  However, I
would like to be able to choose to restrict custom components I create for
Lazarus for more widespread sales.  Even then, I'd probably go with free
binaries and a one-time fee for binaries/source of *MY* custom components.
Whether this meets Open Source, I'm not sure, but after reading the Open
Source article, I *think* it does.

Derek