[lazarus] General Linux programming question

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Fri Jun 18 23:40:27 EDT 1999

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, d0hb0y wrote:

> Does Linux have an equivalent to Microsoft's UNICODE support?  As a
> programmer, I find the transitioning between UNICODE and ANSI strings (in
> Win32 Api calls) annoying.  Does this issue exist in linux (regardless of
> the programming language?).

gtk+ 1.4 will have native Unicode support, the standard libc has e.g.
mbs[r]towcs and wcs[r]tombs to convert between char* and wchar_t*. Also
glibc2.1 is introducing Unicode versions of many standard libc functions,
if compatibility with other/older libcs is not an issue. (Traditionally
Unix systems didn't support Unicode, and is largely ASCII-based, the
heritage of which *is* present in Linux, but GNU is aiming for the future
with its Unicode-aware extensions.)