[lazarus]

John Margaglione jmargaglione at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 27 16:29:31 EDT 1999

My vote is as follows: NO VIRTUAL MACHINES, NO NEW API'S.

If we stick to the FCL layer, then we can swap out whatever GUI library makes us happy.  Having said that, here are my thoughts on the available options:

1. Make our own GUI library: Do we want to finish the first release this century?
2. Use GTK+: the gtk project is going very well.  I see no reason (non-technical) that we should not use these widgets.  They are already portable to Win32 as well.  Qt is portable to Win32, but only if you feel like paying a $1300 developer fee.
3. Use raw X stuff: not portable to Windows.  Or anything but unix for that matter.
4. Use an XY compatible library: the whole reason for layout managers under Unix is that there is no standard video configuration.  Doing X,Y coordinates for any operating system other than Windows will cause funky placement problems for components.

By the way, there is nothing in GLIB that will help you make widgets.  You would have to use GDK for that, and that is exactly what GTK is built on!  So there would be no savings there.

John