[lazarus]

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sun Jun 27 16:38:25 EDT 1999

Baeseman, Cliff wrote:

> michael are you suggesting possibly going all the way down to the
> XLevel and starting there?

I'm also interested. Is that what you mean Michael???

At this point we seemed to have been trying to leverage on the GTK or
KDE widget sets but we really don't have to. The component classes we
are establishing in the FCL already are a very good basis for it's own
widget set. After all that is what Delphi does. It mainly uses Windows
primatives to draw the components. Maybe we should just develop our own
widget set.

I am for this if everybody else is. For one reason it will allow us to
make the FCL much more extensible. One of the reason I love Delphi is
that I can take an existing component redefine part of the components
methods such as the Draw method and create a totally new look for the
component without the need to code all the messaging and event stuff. IF
we still with something like GTK or anyother third party GUI we will not
be able to adjust the widget set from with FPC or the FCL. We will HAVE
to adjust GTK.

This might take us longer to create the FPC FCL but it would allow us to
be more flexible with the porting issue. For example all that would need
to be changed in the Windows version would be the low level primatives
that need to do the drawing. We would call Windows API calls instead of
X11 calls. Maybe we only have to go as far as GDK for the primatives.
That would still tie use to GTK to a certain extent.

Frankly I'm getting confused.   :-\

More opinions???

We have close to 190 members on this list. Some of you are can assume
are future users and not necessary in this to help build lazarus. How do
you see yourself using FPC and the FCL in the future. Do you see
advantages to our doing this one way over another?