[lazarus]

Jeff Wormsley jwormsley at debitek.com
Mon Jun 28 08:47:01 EDT 1999

On 6/27/99, at 8:20 PM, Michael A. Hess wrote:

>Cliff Baeseman wrote:
>>
>> I say we program directly against XLib instead of GTK and QT.

<snip>

>It might be more work but it puts total control of the FCL output in OUR
>hands. Otherwise we are trying to write widgets in FPC that call widgets
>in another package.

<snip>

>Any more opinions??????

Programming it at the XLIB level seems to make the most sense, on the surface.  However, I am not experienced enough to really know for sure.  One concern I would have is the look and feel of the programs created.  Am I right to assume that even at the XLib level, the programs produced would still follow the look and feel of the desktop environment?  Or do you need to program at the GTK/QT level to accomplish this?

Also, how much lower level do you need to get for component creation than messaging and a TCanvas equivalent?

Forgive my lurker ignorance...

Jeff.