[lazarus] GTK or XLib or Whatever

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jun 28 11:50:48 EDT 1999

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Baeseman, Cliff wrote:

> Rick,
>
>    We are currently debating all of the control issues right now.
>

>  Many of you are asking us to use the GTK. This is fine but I can tell you
> programming against it does have limitations.
>
>   Maybe I am not as smart as I should be also. Here is the only problem that
> I have with running against GTK. If you wish for the IDE to be as Delphi
> Like as possible you have to have a couple of things that I have not been
> able to create cleanly.
>
> 1. X and Y control placement.
kcl has solved this with a special placement object

> 2. The ability to resize and move a control once it is on a container.
same answer as in 1

> 3. The signal event model is not working very well. We need some way to
> control our own event model. We need to have something like our own event
> stack on TForm or something to that affect. Right now if I connect a
> function to the gtk events we will get code fall thru not to mention it has
> to be declared cdecl which cannot appear in a class definition.

KCL has solved this with a signal and slot mechanism like Qt has, which
seems like a good idea to me.

I still think that building on top of GTK is a good idea, because it
eliminates a lot of low-level coding, which is slow, painfully and error-prone.

Michael.