[lazarus] GTK or XLib or Whatever

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Wed Jun 30 14:41:59 EDT 1999

I'm a bit surprised or saddened that this coinversation is stil going on.
I understand it's needed but was hoping everyone would agree to go
with GTK for now and worry about multi-platform later.

I have a few points that I'd like to make before giving in:

1)  If we use GTK we are multiplatform.  GTK runs under win32 and linux.
2) Can't we write GTK for now and seperate it as needed later?  Would this
be so tough?

OK, now besides those two things how can we continue?  Should we start
seperating the code?  I would like to continue with GTK but we could
seperate it right away...

Shane

"Jeff Wormsley" <jwormsley at debitek.com> el día Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:16:31
-0400, escribió:

>>Yes, but also WORKABILITY. gtk compiles on Win32 - GNOME doesn't.
>
>This does assume a higher lever than is actually needed.  A Dialog wrapper
could call the 60 Gtk lines to do it, the 3 Gnome lines to do it, or however
many WinAPI lines to do it.   The current approach is to make things with
Gtk first, then seperate and add things like Qt later.  Personally I think
this could lead to trouble, as there may be really killer differences in the
libs that might cause a complete restructuring to accomodate, and that would
probably mean the first lib that didn't fit wouldn't get done.  If, however,
the development begins multi-lib, multi-platform, then any pitfalls like
this get caught a lot earlier, and should guarantee a more flexible and well
thought out design.

Agreed 100%

(btw, can you press the enter key sometimes :)

Sergio