[lazarus] Multiplataform

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Wed Jun 30 18:51:46 EDT 1999

Nicolas Aragon wrote:

> Why not using mine? It's already there. If you want details, you just
> have to ask for them.
[...]
> Inheritance seems to be the natural way in *Object* Pascal.

Yes, and that's the reason why we _cannot_ use inheritance for this
purpose.
For example, TSHTextEdit (my editor widget with syntax highlighting
etc.) is derived from KCL.TScrollBox; the implementations for a
TScrollBox are different for different targets/platforms. If you really
want to use abstract widget classes and implementation classes for each
platform, which are derived from these abstract widgets, you will not be
able to add widgets in your own applications or libraries.
Perhaps you mean something totally different?

> >But at first we need a concept for building component
> >libraries which are dynamically loadable;
>
> I have it. And it's very simple: component libraries are objects.

Can I do something like:
  TScrollBox.Create
within my application? I don't think so. IMHO this dynamic loading stuff
should be in 'the background', normal users (developers) shouldn't see
any difference. Delphi uses some dirty hacks to implement its modules;
we'll see what is the best for our purposes. Currently I'm playing
around with external methods, libraries etc.; perhaps you can convince
if you have a working demo of your concept.

- Sebastian