[lazarus] Lazarus how-to 0.2

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Fri May 14 06:45:30 EDT 1999

I have tried the following instructions and have some unstuck trying to
compile the rtl.  In the rtl/README it says...
To recompile the RTL, edit the main makefile. The makefiles NEED a GNU
make
compatible make, they need unix-like 'rm' and 'mv' commands. You can
find
these in the gnuutils package on the ftp site.

You must set:
The compiler to use
  - If you specify a path, set an ABSOLUTE path !!
The directory where to install the libraries.
  - Under DOS, this directory MUST exist.
  - Subdirectories of this directory will be created for each OS
    OS dependent files will be installed there.
The OS you are compiling under
  - dos, go32v2, linux, os2
  - Under linux, you must specify the version of the compiler.
Do you want debugging information included in the RTL.

So I went and had a look at the Makefile and found this in the
"configurable" section...
# Everything else has been moved to rtl/cfg/makefile.cfg

# Include default makefile

CFG=cfg

include $(CFG)/makefile.cfg

Now, the problem is, there does not seem to be a rtl/cfg/makefile.cfg.
Is this something I am doing wrong or should this file exist in the CVS
?  I have only just done a CVS update.
[root at belial fpc]# pwd
/opt/fpc
[root at belial fpc]# find . -name makefile.cfg
[root at belial fpc]#

This file does not exist anywhere in the cvs (or maybe I have done the
update wrong?  See following script and please let me know if I am an
idiot)

Here is a simple script that may be of help to those trying to figure
out this CVS stuff for the first time.  Place it in /opt/fpc and just
run it each time you want to do an update.

#!/bin/bash
CVSROOT=':pserver:cvs at tflily.fys.kuleuven.ac.be:/usr/local/CVS'
cvs -z3 -d ${CVSROOT} update -d base gtk compiler lazarus rtl fcl

While we are on this subject, what level of compression should be used?
I was of the understanding that 9 is the highest compression ratio,
should I be using this instead of 3 ?

Cheers
Michael Anthon