[lazarus] Open for Opinion

Sergio A. Kessler sak at perio.unlp.edu.ar
Wed May 19 18:08:51 EDT 1999

Cliff Baeseman wrote:

> 1.  Fact           I am unable to run the code anymore at all.

Follow the How-To and you will do it fine :)

> 2. Fact           Delphi clone constructs are not working all that well.

Hmmmm, I don't know...

> 3. Fact          The compiler is having a time with the complexity of
> our code.

Yep, the current code is a big mess.

> 4. Fact          It is difficult for us to work on seperate portions of
> the code in the currrent model.

Yep.

> Now call me stupid or whatever but here is what I am opening for
> discussion.  I suggest we step back for a moment and take a look at a
> simpler
> way to get to the initial goal.

I agree, in Open Source, simplicity and modularity are the keys.

> 1. We create a single object  which inherits TComponent called TControl.
>
> 2.  We create for instance a mainform.pp which inherits TControl.
>
> 3 TControl will contain only two things  fComponent: pGtkWidget  and a
> TList of children.

well, the TControl could have the signaling also, maybe we want to
use the stuff Michael H. is working on.

> 4.  Each widget wrapper TMainForm for instance will be responsible for
> implementing its own event handlers.  It will also implement methods to
> allow control  placement of objects how they apply. TMain for for
> instance will have methods to add a object of TControl.  Now this could
> be a TTable that has multiple child widgets.  Now on a resize event of
> the form, first it will cycle all children and force the resize signal.
> The children will in turn fire their list of children etc... Thus
> propagating the signal to the highest child level.
>
> 5. the code to manipulate the children is also up to the individual
> component.
>
> 6. This would allow each developer to control his component development
> completely independent of the other.  We only have to get a few
> components working good to get the first ide going.
>
> 7. We all do a very good job at communicating so coordinating things at
> that level should be easy.  We are also working on stuff now that uses
> the whole component tree and it is making it difficult to deal changes.
>
> I would also suggest keeping the individual units seperated until we
> have them all built and then maybe merge them into one inc. later..

yep.

> This would also allow me to take something like TForm and develop it to
> its fullest right away.
> Plus I think debugging would go a little better also. We need to put in
> a but load of  writeln in each of our components with maybe a ifdef
> debug around them so we can shut them off when we do not need the
> debugging messages.
>
> Give me your thoughts on this one. It might cost us a few days but I
> think it would be worth it.
>
> I really do not care how Borland does anything. I just want it to look
> like delphi code it does not have to work exactly the same to make me
> happy. ;)

Yep, that's my point. I don't care how Borland does thing, all I care
is to get compatible code as much as possible.

> I do not even care if the components have the same name as long as they
> have easy to use wrappers I am a happy man.

well, I think that having the same names is trivial :)

> Am I taking nonsense?

no way.

Sergio
(trying to catch up with emails)
--
  |    Sergio A. Kessler  http://perio.unlp.edu.ar/~sergio
-O_O-  Keep working at it... you will either succeed, or become an expert.