[lazarus] object creation

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Thu May 20 16:44:04 EDT 1999

I believe each component should do it's own object creation.  I know that it was put in that one spot for ease of use initially.

We have to seperate it from the classes eventually anyway if we are going to make this work with QT and the like.  I would say that there should be an external file that we call  to do all the creates.  Each class (tform, tbutton, tsomething) would call a procedure to create it's gtk/qt/lmnop widget and assign the appropriate events.  That way the source is seperate and we could act like we are doing a WINAPI call if we want.

Shouldn't be that difficult, and if someone wants to move them, that's fine by me.

I don't see any problem for people constructing their own components because they will simply fake a winapi (or whatever) call that will construct the widget.  If they are going real "low" level and creating a new gtk_widget, it simply gets added to the lazarus_gtk file (where the widgets are created) and they create a class called TCustomNewWidget where "NewWidget" is the name of their new widget.

I haven't really spent much time on this.  I think instead of throwing out this info, perhaps we could get our strategy documented in HTML and displayed on the Lazarus site?  Any volunteers?  A nice Component/Class structure tree would be cool.  That way we all see what the plan is and can talk about something concrete.

(get me talking and you can't shut me up)

Shane

>>> "Sergio A. Kessler" <sak at perio.unlp.edu.ar> 05/20 3:30 PM >>>

Shane, what do you think about where to do object creation ?

I made it clear, IMO, that should be done in the components
themselves and not in a inner class (too many problems).

Also, note that there are some problems with TWinControls,
if the user choose the close button of the wm, the widget
is destroyed, yes, destroyed. So we need to simulate the
Delphi behavior like in dialogs.pp, wich is recreated if
it is destroyed.

Sergio