[lazarus] object creation

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Fri May 21 08:46:18 EDT 1999

Sergio Kessler wrote:

> if you are going to put all gtk calls (not only signaling) in
> one file, the only thing you are doing is complicating my life
> for no real gain as far I can see.

How you were the one originally talking about making sure that the
classes could work with different GUIs and have some sort of directory
structure

FPC/GUI/GTK
FPC/GUI/QT

etc. etc. etc.

How do expect to do that if you don't remove the dependence of the GUI
out of the class tree structure? The gain is that a developer would be
able to rebuild their application for Gnome, KDE, Motif, whatever just
by linking with the guiapi unit that supported their library.

If we are going to leave all of the gtk calls in all of the class tree
well then just say we are making a gtk product and be done with it.

Otherwise the only way you will be GUI independent is to rewrite all of
the class each time you want to use a new or different GUI. It also
means changing all of the class code when gtk 1.3 comes out instead of
just changing one file.