[lazarus] CVS Updated

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Tue May 25 11:26:28 EDT 1999

I haven't been successful in reproducing the error in a minimal amount of code.  One reason for this is that I still don't believe that that's the problem.  Here's what I discovered.

If I take line 339 and copy it before line 337 (both are NOT commented out) then it will crash, but if I leave it the way it is (337 before 339) then it works fine.

Try it, Copy and move line 339 in front of 337 and open controls.pp.  It'll crash.

If the line "Writeln('Buffer, Texts '+buffer[i]+'----'+texts+'-');" executes before (or without)
line "Writeln('Length ='+Inttostr(Length(Buffer)));" then it crashes.
If they both execute, but the second one (length ='+inttostr(Length(Buffer[i])))'); )  executes before the first it'll be fine.  Wierd huh?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Michael can you use this to solve the problem instead of me creating another source file with the problem?  I'm not sure I'll be able to create it again. (not on purpose anyways)  :-)

Shane

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Shane Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Michael A. Hess wrote:
>
> > Shane Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > 2) Run it, if you CAN open a file then go into the EDITOR.pp file and
> > > comment out line number 337 (a writeln) and run it again.  Does it
> > > crash?  Mine does.
> > >
> > > Can anyone figure out why commenting out a WRITELN would cause it to
> > > crawsh?
> >
> > It isn't the writeln that is causing the problem it is the IntToStr that
> > is causing the problem. Comment out the writeln and replace it with
> > something like
> >
> > temp := InttoStr(3);
> >
> > where temp was defined as an integer.
> >
> > You will see that it now also still works correctly. It looks like
> > something with strings is being fixed with the IntToStr call.
>
> >>Nope, temp ansistring management :(
>
> So what can be done about this?

Make MINIMAL code that reproduces this, and we'll fix it ASAP.

And by MINIMAL I understand a standalone program that can be compiled
with the minimum of neede units. I.e. no FCL, GTK etc.
(just trying to lure you out of 'compile lazarus, line .. in ..' :-) )

Florian has done a MAJOR overhaul of the ansistrings code, but apparently, not
everything has been fixed yet :(

Michael.