[lazarus] Why the FLC/Lazarus/KCL development should bespeeded

Shane Miller smiller at lakefield.net
Sat Oct 2 12:35:11 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>
To: lazarus at miraclec.com <lazarus at miraclec.com>
Date: Friday, October 01, 1999 3:55 AM
Subject: Re: [lazarus] Why the FLC/Lazarus/KCL development should bespeeded

>> Shane Miller wrote:
>> >
>> > Borland will not use WINE.

>> I spoke with Michael Swindel and another person at Inprise.
>
>Haha. Why then did I have to sign a NDA, if they chat freely about
>it with you. You have some high connections there :-) ?

I'm not sure why you had to sign a NDA.  I spoke with them around September
1st or 2nd I believe.  They didn't say I couldn't talk about it....

>> They talked about gtk and qt and how they work and which one we
>> (the lazarus project) were using.  Also, they spoke about hiring
>> someone that knew something about the widget set (either gtk, qt,
>> or whatever) depending on which they chose.  It was quite fun
>> chatting with them (I don't remember the other gentlemen's name).
>>  I spoke with Michael via EMAIL and the other guy called me.
>
>You plan to work for them maybe :-) ?

They had initially called me about a job.  Since the first contact, the job
thing never came up again.  I guess I'm not worthy.  :-(

>> They were familiar with the Lazarus project, along with the
>> Medigio project (whatever it was called).
>
>I told them that died a long time ago.

Me too..

>> They plan on doing something very similiar to what we are doing.
>> It seems like they have the same ideas and hopes that we have
>> about the Linux environment and what it could become.
>
>True, but I find this contrasts with their plans to work with corel.
>(but that is my highly personal opinion, based just on what I see
>on the net)
>
>But your information is partially correct. They plan indeed to use
>GTK or Qt for the VCL. (Which one wasn't sure when I spoke to them)
>If they use GTK they could use our headers, so I was told :-)
>
>AFAIK they are in contact with the Qt team; because it seems that
>if they want Qt then Qt would need to include RTTI in their objects.
>(or something of the sort, I don't exactly remember)
>
>Michael.

Did they actually FAX an NDA to you and make you sign it?  Must have had a
more involved conversation with them then.  They seemed to enjoy chatting
about the new Linux/Delphi project and I found it to be quite fun myself...

Shane Miller

Get paid to surf the net!
http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DEX-870

Home page : http://www.lakefield.net/~smiller