[lazarus] Editor

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Sun Oct 17 06:06:25 EDT 1999

Shane Miller wrote:

> I like the idea of using the same editor.  However, aren't our classes and
> implementation so different that it would require a lot of work?

We could create a special class which has to be implemented differently
for each IDE, but all other classes can be the same. This class would
have methods for:
- changing the current color and font style
- drawing text
- clearing a rectangle
- drawing the cursor
- clipboard support
- Keyboard handling

All the drawing stuff should not be pixel based, but character cell
based, so it can be used even in text mode IDE's.

Regarding this abstraction class: Either we create an interface class
(class which contains only abstract virtual methods), or we use include
files for the different implementations.

I have attached the latest KCL SHEdit widget source (15 kB); this source
won't compile without changes as it would require an unreleased version
of KCL. It has clipboard support, but there is a tiny bug when you try
to undo and redo a 'paste' operation.

- Sebastian