[lazarus] Editor

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Tue Oct 19 11:29:02 EDT 1999

>>> Curtis White <osiriz at teleport.com> 10/18/99 11:30PM >>>
I have also been working hard on getting an editor working.

Shane, I think Sebastian has come up with a way we can get SHEdit working by
just implementing the abstract class he is writing. Right now SHEdit inherits
from TScrollBox, but we will be changing that to not inherit from anything (I
think that is what he said). So I wouldn't spend too much time trying to build
all those KCL components. I think with that abstract class, we can just use LCL
and FPC code and get it working without all that work.

I wasn't building ANY KCL component.
I was going to add the TScrollBox that's needed either way in the LCL.

I have been working on getting both SHEdit and mwEdit working. I started working
on SHEdit, but I decided to wait on it until Sebastian finished that abstract
class. Once he has that done, I think it will be easy to get SHEdit working for
us.

In the mean time, I started working to get mwEdit to compile with FPC. I am
getting close. There are several parts where I am just creating skeleton
classes and methods. We will need to write code for these before mwEdit will
completely work. But getting it to compile is my first hurdle to overcome. I
am keeping track of the classes and methods that we need to get working in
order for mwEdit to work.

Did you create any comments or something that others can look at to see what needs to be finished?  If so, I can start adding the code to the skeleton classes....

In order to get parts of mwEdit working, I had to add a Registry unit to the LCL
and also a Windows unit. The Windows unit is ONLY for compatibility with Delphi.
It contains some constants and type definitions and that is all. We need to make
sure that nobody puts any M$ Windows API calls in it. I haven't implemented any
of the methods in the Registry units because we still need to decide how we are
going to implement that in a cross platform manner (meaning, how we will do it
in Linux). I checked in the Registry and Windows units to CVS.

Between both of these editors, I think we can get one (or both) of them working
very soon now.

If anyone wants to start working out some way to implement the Registry units
so they work in both Windows and Linux, that would be very helpful.

Where should the reg file be stored?  Should we put it in the /etc (like suggested) and make it a flat text file or create something a bit more complicated?  Any suggestions on what type of file it should be?  Hate to do it poorly.

Curtis, I think this is a good route to take.
I like mwedit a lot and think that whether we use it or not, we'll get a lot closer to Delphi-Compatable by doing it this way....
If we can create the skeleton for compatability and document what classes and procedures still need code, then we will essentialy be building an easy to follow list of what needs to be done and hopefully we can involve a few other people.

Shane