[lazarus] Editor

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Tue Oct 19 12:18:02 EDT 1999

Sounds good to me.  Are you done yet?  :-)

Shane

Shane Miller wrote:

> If anyone wants to start working out some way to implement the
> Registry units so they work in both Windows and Linux, that would be
> very helpful.

I'll take on the Registry stuff. It gives me something somewhat simple
to do and get me back more into the swing of things. One change I think
we should make. I will move it out of the LCL and into the FCL. About
the only way we can easily do the Win32 and Linux compatability is to
use code for Win32 which uses the real Win32 API and a compatibility
version for Linux. Currently the FCL is designed to have both sets of
trees. Win32 specific code already exists in the FCL if you are building
the FCL for Win32. The Registry really isn't a GUI feature so moving it
to the FCL makes sense. Also since that is the location of the TIniFile
code it the two would be together.

> Where should the reg file be stored?  Should we put it in the /etc
> (like suggested) and make it a flat text file or create something a
> bit more complicated?  Any suggestions on what type of file it should
> be?  Hate to do it poorly.

I believe we have to split up where the information is stored. First off
the /etc directory is write only for root. This would equate to the
HKEY_LOCAL_LOCAL tree found in the Registry which is only modifiable by
an Administration level account (on NT). The HKEY_USERS tree is specific
to the current user. This would make sense to have this part of the
Registry located in the users HOME directory. The easiest way to make
the Registry would be to make it a standard INI file. Again this reduces
complexity on the Linux side with the RegIniFile class since it would
also just use the IniFile type all the time.

Everyone follow this one??