[lazarus] Progress

Jeffrey A. Wormsley daworm at cdc.net
Wed Sep 1 18:57:02 EDT 1999

On 9/1/99, at 5:06 PM, Michael A. Hess wrote:

>Baeseman, Cliff wrote:
>>
>> If we wan't this type of functionality we need to program directly
>> against XLib itself and not involve QT or GTK whatsoever.
>
>This is more or less the message I was trying to impart. We can't easily
>get there from how we are currently designed.

As was previously stated, this is far too time consuming, and reproduces a
lot of work.

>Maybe trying to support every and any API is the real problem. I don't
>exactly thing that building to the XLib would be the best thing though.
>For example Gnome and KDE both have extensive DnD and Corba and Themes
>built into the widget set which we would have to reinvent if we coded
>directly to the XLib.

With GTK under linux, you can statically link to just about anything, and
hence program at the same level as a C coder would.  Under Win32, you have
to go through the DLL's and are at the mercy of what is exported.  This was
why I wanted to work on Win32 native.  It is indeed possible to make Win32
native emulate GTK.  In one sense, that is useless work, as it has already
been done in the DLL's.  In another, it does mean faster code with no
required DLL's (like those &^*&#* VBRUNxxx.DLL things from VB).  I can keep
this up, and ignore any possibility of going beyond GTK's functionality,
and probably save myself a lot of headaches.

Jeff.