[lazarus] Why the FLC/Lazarus/KCL development should be speeded

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Sep 30 04:45:52 EDT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/news/0,4538,2343151,00.html
>
> Of course, you can discuss what a "full featured"
>
> Quote:
> "Publicly Inprise is committed to bringing Kylix to
> market by early next year at the latest. Whenever it's
> done, Kylix will represent the first full-featured,
> Windows-style RAD environment for Linux. While Kylix
> ultimately will work with all Linuxes, Inprise will work
> first with its partners ..."
>
> Look at the new release time !!!!!

Yes, but even if they can do it, they will just run on a
Corel-adapted version of linux - if I understand it right.
I very much doubt that everyone wishes to buy this version;
if it is more Windows-like, what is the purpose of having
linux at all? If you want to implement a more windows like
environment, why not just take windows ? and furthermore,
If you do that you WILL introduce all of the windows bugs
and quircks and even add some more.

They can only do what they promise by taking wine and it's lib to
provide the win32 API, and linking it in in every app. I doubt
anyone will like that. What kind of application are you writing
if you need 6 Meg of libs to run it ? This isn't VB you know !

Maybe I'm being too religious about it, but I definitely don't
like the way it sounds.

I think the marketing guys are - as usual - missing the point
and screwing things up. We should send them all on a spaceship
on a collision-course with the sun, ( (c) Douglas Adams )
Same goes for million-dollar CEOs - it's they that sent Borland
plummeting down in the first place, though Borland seems to get
out of it now (hopefully).

Michael.