[Re: FPCDIR Was: RE: [lazarus] New Makefiles]

Curtis White cwhite at aracnet.com
Tue Apr 11 15:54:21 EDT 2000

Marc Weustink wrote:

> I got it, from the early beginnings I still had a FPCDIR environment variable.
>
> This brings me to the following:
>    Are we going to assume that the fpc dir is always
>    the parent of the lazarus dir ? So that we define
>    fpcdir= in the makefiles
>
> or
>    Are we stating that one should set the FPCDIR
>    environment variable.
>
> For something foolproof I feel for the first one, for something more
> flexible I feel for the second on.
> Any toughts

At first, I wanted to vote for flexibility. But as I think more about
it, Lazarus
can't work without FPC. So it really should not be separated from it.

Sun makes these assumptions now with Java and it seems to work out very
well. As
long as it can find the interpreter,  then it can find its library files
because
they are relative to the location where the compiler and interpreter are
installed. Plus, that way you don't have to worry about the developer
forgetting
to set FPCDIR and having all kinds of problems.

So my vote is to assume fpc is always the parent dir. Of course, you
know you
will probably get just as many good arguments for the other method as
well :-)

Curtis