[lazarus] Lazarus Project -- NORMAL DEVELOPMENT CYCLE!!!

d0hb0y d0hb0y at lynq.com
Sun Aug 6 23:44:46 EDT 2000

Hi Everyone

I've been following the Lazarus list server for over a year, and I wanted
to kind of step up to the plate here for a minute to share my two cents...

I'm Senior Programmer at a small firm located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
(USA) and I've seen many long term projects through to fruition.  I wanted
to take the opportunity here to say that, it is NORMAL for long-term
projects, such as this one, to have "cool" periods where there is little
discussion or apparent activity.

In the case of open source projects such as this, everyone has a 'real job'
and a 'real life' to live, and sometimes you need a break.  THIS DOES
**NOT** MEAN THAT LAZARUS IS DIEING.  This means that the geniuses behind
lazarus need to take a break and come back refreshed.   The worst thing for
a project on a large scale like this to burn out the key players.  They've
been programming their tails off for more than a year on this, and burnout
does happen.

SO I want everyone to keep this in mind as you see periods of apparent
inactivity... Its unfair to the developers, and the project in general, to
declare anything even close to the words DIEING or STAGNATING to this
project.  If anything, NOW is the time for others to step up to the plate
and visit some of the issues that are outstanding.  It also gives us
testers some time to pay attention to finding more bugs to be squashed.

In conclusion, I emplore everyone reading this to bear in mind these facts,
and choose your words carefully.   I would not want to even IMPLY anything
negative about this project without real hard factual evidence.  A lull in
a listserver does not factually state a projects health.  An implication
such as this could adversely affect the project by unfairly diverting
attention... and we ALL lose when that happens.

FInally I just want to say THANKS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK to Stephen,
Marc, Shane, and all the others who have brought this project along this far.

== Ron DeFulio