[lazarus] Newbie bad installation

Marc Weustink marc at lazarus.dommelstein.net
Sat Aug 12 05:45:20 EDT 2000

At 20:37 11-08-2000 +0200, Bertil Wergelius wrote:
>I  succeded to start lazarus from the console but it keeps nagging about
>Gdk critical etc. It also seems to leak memory ; when I quit lazarus a
>message about 105 unreleased something.
>Can I safely ignore these also?

Yep, To emulate the devicecontexts and gdiobjects delphi uses to draw
items, the GTK implementation of the LCL keeps track of these. In windows
if you create and object (like a bitmap) you have to destroy it when you no
longer need it. The message you see in the end is a counter on how many
objects still exist.
AFAIK gtk will clean them when you exit the app. So there should be no
memory leak if yo comapre it to before and after the app running. During
the lifetime of the app you indeed can see this as a memoryleak.
Running Lazarus for a while will result in over 5000 unreleased gdiobjects,
you can imagine if you use Lazarus longer that at a certain point you are
out of memory.
For now as long as Lazarus doesn't dump, you can ignore messages, since
some object are created while they shouldnt and not all the cleanup code is
present.

Marc