Corel will buy Borland!!

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Feb 8 04:52:12 EST 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Kevin Berry wrote:

> I believe that there is already a Borland Pascal
> command line compiler built for Linux.

Maybe there is. The C++ compiler works on linux a long
time already, and it shares the same backend with Delphi,
so that part is ready.

> I'd speculate
> that they're working on the VCL stuff at the moment,
> and they already have an IDE (JBuilder Foundation,
> although they will have to update it for Object Pascal
> two-way tools stuff).  Since they've already talked
> about a mid-year release for C++Builder and Delphi on
> Linux I don't think they'd back off now (even if Corel
> has bought them).

There was talk of that even back in summer last year; they knew
perfectly that the merge was going to happen; (it's not something
you decide overnight, after all) so I don't think they will back off.
they were dead serious about making delphi when I talked to them,
so unless the suits decide otherwise, the developers will make
Delphi for linux happen.

Which doesn't mean that it's easy. On the contrary :-)

Michael.