[[lazarus] Design issues]

Stefan Hille stoppok at osibisa.ms.sub.org
Wed Feb 23 17:19:33 EST 2000

Hi!

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 03:14:25PM +0100, Marc Weustink wrote:

> + > Both things have some impact on performance: FPC and the
> + > processor tries to do good branch prediction :), but you
> + > puzzle them by using a lot of case statements,
> + > let it me point out more precisily:
>
> These cases statements are (AFAIK) now only a small part of the execution
> path, so I think it wouldn't cost that much performance.

I think you're right although I'm not absolutely sure about it (we'll have
to look at this one day).

> Again, fist get some things working, then try to speed up some things.

I agree!

> + > Clean proposal for a solution:
> + >
> + > twincontrol or tcontrol gets a pointer to a class ttoolkitinterface
> + > (similiar to the handle under windows) and ttoolkitinterface has
> + > childs like ttoolkitbutton with a appropritate methods.
>
> Hmmmm.... seems a lot like tinterfaceobject, only then with more (clearer)
> methods.

If I understand it right, the original author talked of a secondary class
hierarchy. Taken to the extreme, this could result in lazarus being only a
Delphi-compatibility layer, wrapping a complete & fully functional class
hierarchy. Nice idea, but IMHO we should really focus on getting things up
and running.

This means: I'd really like to have a working library round about June!
            Since I've still a lot of work to do, I can't help much before
	    mid of march, but if things go well I can then spend a week or
	    two.

bye,

  Stefan
Stefan Hille          email: stoppok at osibisa.ms.sub.org