[lazarus] Lazarus broken

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Mon Feb 28 18:01:43 EST 2000

Michal Bukovjan wrote:

> 2. This leads me to second question : Are we trying to copy the
> Borland VCL (and pray Borland does not take any legal action) or just
> do a better, more versatile, not Win32 centric, Borland compatible
> VCL?

We are suppose to be duplicating the features of the Delphi VCL. WE CAN
NOT COPY the VCL.

> As I looked at the new code, it is just a plain copy & paste from
> the Borland VCL. This applies to a LOT of methods. In some, there is
> clearly no other way, but there is a lot of code which could have been
> done differently and it was not, just copy and paste.

We can not copy code out of the VCL. This violate the license agreement
we all bought into when we purchased our copies of Delphi. Yes it is
true that some of the methods only contain one or two lines and there
really isn't any other way to accomplish the same feature.

If it can be done differently, whether it is better or not it should be
done differently to insure that we are not using code from the VCL.

When Lazarus was started we tried to make sure that we were not using
code from the VCL even though it wasn't deemed to serious since Delphi
wasn't being ported to Linux. Well guess what. As we all know that is
something they are now working on. That means we would be competition to
their product. We had best not be using any of their code to do that.

If you see some code that can be modified so that it does match the way
that the VCL does it, please make those changes.

The "better, more versatile, not Win32 centric, Borland compatible VCL"
question has been talked over alot in the past. Some leaned on the make
it Delphi like side and others leaned on the totally Delphi compatible
side. I'm not even sure where we are falling with the project at this
point. With Borland/Corel working on their own Delphi compatible version
I don't know if we have to concern ourselves with making Lazarus totally
compatible with existing Delphi code. KCL is an example of code being
somewhat Delphi like but not Delphi compatible.