[lazarus] Lazarus on windows 98 runs

Marc Weustink Marc.Weustink at cuperus.nl
Fri Jan 28 05:18:02 EST 2000

+ From: "Vincent Snijders" <vsnijders at zonnet.nl>
+
+ ----- Original Message -----
+ From: Shane Miller <SMiller1 at stvgb.org>

+ > I don't know about that.  Currently I and most of the other
+ > developers are concentrating on LINUX so I rarely if ever
+ > test it under win32.
+ >
+ I understand that Linux is the main (development) platform, but IMHO
+ every once in a while the code should be tested for complatibility on
+ win32. I am willing to do that,  if you want to.

I used to check under win32 as well but since OS2 cmd scripts are also
interpeted under NT, it resulted in some handwork by myself, so I skipped
checking for a while.

If you will do it, great.

+ > LCLLinux:  I'm not sure about using LCLLinux under Win32.  Sure, it
+ > seems like it could be done, but it's intent (and the reason we named
+ > it what we did) was that it would be used only under Linux.  Maybe
+ > we'll have to revisit that and take a look at what the
+ > intent/possibilities are and rename it.

+ If it is not to be used on win32, more care has to be taken
+ in defining the interface of LCLLinux. Then it should match the
+ windows.pp interface exactly.
+
+ Example:
+ LCLLinux (actually WinApih.inc)
+ function ExtTextOut(DC: HDC; X, Y: Integer; Options: Longint; Rect:
+ PRect; Str: PChar; Count: Longint; Dx: PInteger): Boolean;  override;

+ Windows.pp (actually ascdef.inc and unidef.inc)

As far as I know the calls should be compatible. The override should be
between a IFDEF statement. This is because the WinApih.inc is defines all
plain winapi functions as well as the member functions of the interfacebase
class (depending of a DEFINE)

If we use LCLLinux on all platforms (what IMO is posible) all winapi funcs
wrap to win32 api funcs.

+ Also new functions and constants (i.e. those not existing in the
+ windows.pp) can't put be put LCLLinux.
+ Example:
+ The constants CLR_INVALID and FW_BLACK are declared in LCLLinux but not
+ in Windows.pp (or its includes).

Thats another point. It confuses me. There is a VCLGlobals unit as wel. Now
we use a mix of LCLLinux and VCLGlobals to define constants. I don't know
wich one to use, if both we become eventually the same and so on. If
LCLLinux will be used on all platforms, whats then the difference between
LCLLinux and VCLGlobals.

Marc