[lazarus] RTL bug ?? TObject.FieldAddres

Marc Weustink weus at quicknet.nl
Fri Jul 7 17:44:34 EDT 2000

At 20:49 07-07-2000 +0000, Sebastian G|nther wrote:
>Marc Weustink wrote:
>
> > Besides this, maybe an idea to prevent unnecesary lookups and check if name
> > <> '' in TObject.FieldAddress
>
>Would be possible, of course, but this case (name='') is extremely
>unlikely.

???
I've to dive some deeper in it. As far as I understand (and I may
completely wrong) TObject.FieldAddress is called to set a reference to a
member var of a parent component. THe member var is looked up through the
name of the component. In most cases (now) name is '' so you dont have to
look them up.

> > + This seems to be a problem with virtual constructors again. Marcs
> > + example gives the following values here:
> >
> > Maybe it is, while debugging I had troubles inspecting member vars.
>
>Checking objects is simple: When you dump an object in GDB, you should
>get zero as result when you add the both values of the _vptr record. If
>this is not the case, then either the object is corrupt or the object
>pointer passed is wrong.

Has this a deeper meaning ?? (don't know the exact meaning of _vptr)

Marc