[lazarus] BorCon Update

Kevin Flanagan kflanaga at ma.ultranet.com
Fri Jul 14 09:01:18 EDT 2000

Hello

Just thought I'd throw my two cents after surviving
the Borland conference food (the food at
windev 2000 was much better)...

The focus seems to be along the lines of we
are trying as hard as we can to divorce ourselves from
the Wintel platform and microsoft and anything
we can do to stick it to microsoft, we will do.

What scares me about Dale's "we will ship
it's when ready" quote is this. The intense pressure
that is being put on the development group to get it
out the door. Personally I get the impression that
they want it to ship and are stable and are willing to
sacrifice features and functionality to meet this.

I kept on hearing over and over, this interface is
kinda ackward, but will probably be improved in the
first service pack (esp. corbra).

A few notes..
1. CLX is definitely based on QT.
2. They are trying for a 1 to 1 conversion of popular VCL components
3. It looks like everything will be wrapped into and called Delphi 6
4. CLX is composed of 4 types of components, Base,Visual,Data,Net
5. Only the CLX visual components are based on QT.
6. There have been no major changes to the OO Pascal language.
7. They will have compiler flag to indicate non portable code
8. They will have a scan app to determine which components you are using.
9. They would like to get your scan results.
10. Resistance if futile, you will be assimilated
11. Prepare to be assimilated this fall.
12. They are already planning a service pack to help those that have been assimilated.

Personally I'll wait for the first (maybe second) service
pack before trying the product.

Kevin Flanagan