[lazarus] Very interesting

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Thu Mar 23 11:22:13 EST 2000

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> This has been announced some time ago in Linux Journal, I think.
> (Or was it slashdot ?) it is well known that Corel was pushing
> the development of Wine.

I was aware of this I was just surprised by the fact that they abandoned
what had already been some effort to create a native Linux version for
an emulation version. I agree the 2 versions as opposed to just 1
version makes sense from an economic sense but it also means that they
felt it was cheaper to do the emulation versions and throw out the
existing Linux version. I fear they might come to the same conclusion
with Delphi.

I felt Wine was suppose to be a transition tool. You could use your
existing software investment on Linux while moving to Linux native
applications which would be more efficient. I don't think I ever
invisioned that people would develop specifically FOR Wine. This would
mean that native Linux applications would never be created and we would
be stuck with Windows limitations.   :-(