[lazarus] Very interesting

Francis Smit francis at oztel.com
Thu Mar 23 18:20:00 EST 2000

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Michael A. Hess wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Here is something that is very interesting. The following URL is a
> > review of Corel WordPerfect Office 2000.
> >
> > http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-03/lw-03-vcontrol_3.html
> >
> > The review of Office is interesting but that isn't what perked my ears
> > up. It appears that the Office suite works using Wine. The big surprise
> > involves Word Perfect. The Office suite comes with WP 9. The amazing
> > thing is that they didn't continue with the Linux port of WP. They
> > created a Wine version of WP 9. Even after going to all the effort of
> > making WP 8 for Linux they have dropped it in favor or using Wine for
> > their appliations.
> >
> > This makes me go Hmmmmmmmmm.
> >
> > If they opted to do this with a product that they had ALREADY ported to
> > native Linux what will Corel's thinking be with Delphi. While it is true
> > that comparing and office suite and a development environment isn't
> > apples and apples but it does show a viewpoint about Corel that
> > surprises me.
>
> This has been announced some time ago in Linux Journal, I think.
> (Or was it slashdot ?) it is well known that Corel was pushing
> the development of Wine.
>
> The Delphi people were also wondering about having the IDE run on wine
> in an initial stage. If corel decides to push a little, that may be
> exactly what we will be facing, much to my regret.
>
> My guess is that it is an economical decision: Why keep 2 versions of
> a product, if you can do it with one version + some additional libs ?
> (wine is, after all, just another library, albeit a big one.)
>
> I think many application developers will follow this path; they proved
> that wine is a grown-up product.
>
> But from a developer's point of view I'm with you in your 'hmmmmm..'..
>
> Michael.

I very much doubt that this is a danger I'd say rather that
the Union of Corel And borland Augurs for a second port
in the future,  from something in the article in question
(i.e. note the comment "I still don't know what BDE Administrator")
I'd say they could well have built this stuff with Delphi or
C++Builder, so the thought occurs to me could Delphi and or C++Builder/
Kylix be a more economic porting strategy, you know build it
in Borland stuff (VCL) with maybe a few lib to fill in gaps/iconpatable stuff
not cover by the VCL and when Kylix comes just port it over
nice and easy, no need for two complete sets of source etc.

--

                                           Grisly    . oo
                                                      `oO

Knowledge By Design/OzTel