[lazarus] Delphi Informant magazine

Shane Miller SMiller1 at stvgb.org
Wed Mar 29 16:09:54 EST 2000

As I read the magazine this month I noticed an article on Delphi and Linux.  I scanned the article initially looking for the words "Lazarus Project" but was dissapointed to only see Megido.  We all know that Megido hasn't moved in the past year so I was surprised that it was listed at all.

After contacting the author I was happy to hear that our project will appear in the third article in the series which will be out in about two months.  I don't know if there is much more than a simple mention but he did say that he added the url to our site along with a link to FPC.

He also mentioned Jeff Duntemann's diary (and just sent me the link) at
http://www.visual-developer.com/diary.cfm

The article says the following:
"August 17, 1999: I haven't been able to raise the
                   Megido Web site for a couple of weeks, and I've come
                   to wonder if the project is in trouble. (Megido is or
                   was a promising effort to create a Delphi workalike
                   for Linux/GNOME.) Something similar is underway with
                   the Lazarus project. (http://www.miraclec.com/lazarus/)
                   Again, it's based on FreePascal 32, but it doesn't have
                   the source code to an IDE (as Megido does) so they're
                   starting from scratch. As with Megido, it seems to be the
                   work mostly of Europeans. Delphi has less and less
                   support in the States, which to me is profoundly
                   depressing."
I'm not sure why he felt that Lazarus is the work of mostly Europeans but it was still nice to mention it.
I look forward to the article in the Delphi Informant and will forward any info I receive from the author.

Shane