[lazarus] Lazarus at freshmeat and publicity in general

Jarto Tarpio jarto at starsoft.fi
Thu Mar 30 03:44:52 EST 2000

I just checked www.freshmeat.net for the status of Lazarus:

http://www.freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=lazarus

Last announcement is from July 28th. Judging from the version
number (0.1) and date Lazarus is a ship dead in water. I know
that's not the case but how should people who have not subscribed
know it? Also the homepage points to www.pcpros.net/~vbman/ . It
does redirect to lazarus.freepascal.org but it should be updated
anyway.

We're really not making Lazarus known at the moment. Inprise is
doing a way better job even thoug they started later. The problem is
that there are many skillful Delphi programmers who don't know
about Lazarus. Many of them create freeware and open source
components and there's a big chance that many would love to
contribute. That's why we should make sure people know what
Lazarus is and that it's actively developed.

It's a good idea to release often at freshmeat. By doing that we get
more testers, publicity and even developers. Do it every two
months for example. It's also a good idea to contact maintainers of
popular Delphi pages (like http://torry.spang.org) and send them
articles or ask if they could link to http://lazarus.freepascal.org.
These pages are visited by Delphi programmers and those are our
primary target.

Regards

Jarto Tarpio